The Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme ( SICAP) is a national local community development and social inclusion programme. It promotes social inclusion and supports to individuals and community organisations.
The programmes has two goals :
Goal 1: Community Engagement:
- The aim of goal one is to support local communities and groups to identify social inclusion and equality issues.
This aim is in line with Community Development principles and practices which have underpinned the work of Limerick City CDP in the city for the past twenty years. While programme titles have changed over the years the consistent objective embedded in the Programmes is the need to support and promote community engagement in disadvantaged communities using the principles of participation, empowerment, capacity-building , collective action and decision-making in a structured way.
The development of Networks and Strategic Collaborations to bring groups and agencies together to tackle issues of social exclusion and disadvantage are an important part of Limerick City CPD’s work. We are involved with
- Limerick Men’s Shed Network supporting development of sheds in the city;
- Partnership with UL and LIT to increase participation of people in research that has relevance to them and benefits them;
- Traveller Community Development Network headed up by HSE and looking at initiatives with Traveller sites.
Goal 2: Supporting Individuals
- The aim of goal two is to work with individuals to help them to identify and take the steps to improve their quality of life and access life long learning opportunities
The starting point is to complete a personal profile and unique personal action plan. The action plan facilitates the individual to identify their long term goal and appropriate pathway to fulfil their goal. One a learner has been registered and a personal action plan put in place, each individual is part of the CDP case load, and worked with on a one to one basis to develop their skills and progress through education and training qualifications.
Get in Touch
Contact the Team Leader:
Majella O’Connor 5 Verdant Crescent, Kings Island, Limerick
Kay Flanagan – 4 Garryglass Avenue, Ballincurra Weston, Limerick
Mary Fitzpatrick – 266 Avondale Court, O’Malley Park, Limerick
Alalei Cusipag – 5 Verdant Crescent, Kings Island, Limerick
Rhiannon Grimes – Northside Youth Space, Ballynanty Road, Limerick