What is a learning neighbourhood ?
The concept of a Learning Neighbourhood is that groups, residents, business, clubs in a local neighbourhood would come together to promote and showcase the different forms of learning in their area both formal and non-formal. Learning happens everywhere, in community centres, shops, credit unions, youth clubs, sports clubs, in any place where there is a gathering of people e.g. learning skills such as football, team working either for individual sport activity or team sports, Learning about savings, money management as a member of a credit union, Business offering work experience to learners, taking part in a project as part of a youth club or school or attending community education courses in a local centre.
Following on a workshop held last year Limerick Community Education Network has linked with Learning Limerick Steering Group to develop learning neighbourhood initiatives in local areas across the city. We will hold an event during lifelong learning festival week in April to launch Learning Neighbourhoods in Limerick.
The theme for Limerick Learning Neighbourhood is “Who we are is where we are from”
Would your group be interested in taking part in this project with other groups from your local area?
This is an opportunity to showcase what your group does to improve the lives of your local community. Each group could come up with a different way of telling their story and their learning in the neighbourhood e.g. pictures/photos, drama storytelling, dance, pop-up museum. Some groups may already have archive material that could be used or may have taken part in a drama or St. Patrick’s Day event. Each area would decide how they want to showcase themselves. We will then have a pool of different ideas from local groups across the city.
Learning Neighbourhoods Working Group will support local groups to come together to prepare their project for the event which will be held as part of the Lifelong Learning Festival in April 2019. Some of the examples of Learning Neighbourhood project held in Cork are:
- “Faces of Learning” a photographic project of local people from age 4 to 100 who are involved in Learning
- Showcase of group work from local area Mayfield involving all types of groups, business and services in the local area
- Learning Trail involving learners travelling around to different centres, business, service on one day (see attached information)
- Free University where UCC provided lectures on selected topics in community settings
- Intergenerational work matching schools with a local care centre sharing skills, e.g senior citizens making costumes for school playFirst
First Meeting in Limerick 7th March in Watch House Cross Library at 6.00pm. If your group is interested in getting involved locally please contact: Helen, Phone: 328690
Leave a Reply